1/23/09

Not Quite What I Expected

As you might guess by the title, things aren't going that great here. I don't want to sugarcoat anything, so I'm sorry if what I say makes you worry a bit, but... this is what's happening.

Picking up where I left off...

The flight to Belfast was relatively smooth. There was a bit of turbulence, though, and there was a really fussy baby in the row behind me, so it was hard to sleep. Then we took a bus from Belfast to Coleraine. I took a few pictures of Belfast and the outskirts, but I fell asleep pretty quickly.

An old church in Belfast


the Irish countryside


if you look closely, you can see sheep!

Before I fell asleep, though, I was talking to this really nice older English couple. They were actually going to stay for a few days in Portrush, which is fairly close to Coleraine. We then got off the bus and took another bus to the campus. In about seven or eight minutes, we were on campus. The bus took us to the student center, and we got off with all our luggage. As the bus pulled away, I saw a guy on the top deck of the bus waving at us and pointing in a different direction. I had no idea what he was trying to say, so I just waved back. I soon found out.

Turns out we got off at the wrong stop on campus. We asked around, and we got two different sets of directions. So we're walking all over campus, hauling our luggage and everything along with us. I was getting slightly annoyed at this point, because everyone that drove or walked past just stared at us and kept on walking. You would think that if you saw eight kids with lots of luggage, looking around confusedly and pointing in different directions, you would guess that they might need help and maybe even ask if they needed something. But nope.

After a bit, we walked by an official-looking building, and Julie (one of the girls in our group) went in to ask for clearer directions. The rest of us stood huddled together on a sidewalk in the rain with all the luggage to wait, watching more cars and busses and people go by and stare at us. Eventually, she came back with two girls who took us to the accomodations' main building. There, we each got our housing assignments, and went our different directions. Everyone else got put in two buildings, though, so they're relatively close to one another. I, on the other hand, got put in a university-owned apartment across the street from campus, about half a mile away. One of the accomodations ladies was nice enough to drive me over, and then she introduced me to my temporary RA, handed me the key, and she and the RA left. There are supposed to be other people in my apartment, but they won't be coming until later (sometime this weekend). So I was all by myself, hungry with no way to get food (all the places on campus had closed, and I didn't know how to get to town or anything), and exhausted. I just broke down and cried for a looooong time. I didn't have a cell phone yet, and the apartment isn't capable of receiving Internet connections, so I didn't even have a way to get a hold of anyone.

I went and knocked on the RA's door, but she didn't answer. Then I noticed a phone booth in front of the apartments. I tried to call her (she had given me her cell number), but she didn't answer. So I tried to call home, but I couldn't get through. I went back to my apartment, but every half hour or so I would go back to try to call home. Later, my RA stopped by, and I asked her for a towel so I could at least take a shower (I had forgotten to pack mine). She got one for me, and then I showered and tried to call home again. She stopped by again a bit later with some pasta for me, but unfortunately by this point my stomach was upset and I couldn't eat anything. Eventually I was able to get through to Mom and Dad, and I talked to them for a long time. It was almost comical: I'm standing there crying in an old, drafty, leaky phone booth at night while it pours down outside. Mom said it was like a scene out of a bad movie, and I have to agree. I felt so much better after I got off the phone with Mom and Dad. I went inside and tried to lay down, only to get sick. After a while, I was able to finally get to sleep.

The next morning (Thursday) I felt slightly better. The sun was shining outside, so that helped a lot. I found the International Office (the buildings here are absolute mazes!), and asked about switching houses to one with more people in it. The lady was really nice, but basically just told me that there will be people coming soon. I ran into the rest of the people from Kent, and I went with them to the orientation for international students. It was pretty boring. Afterwards, we worked on scheduling classes, and I found out that of the three classes I am allowed to take, Kent may not give me credit for one, one was cancelled, and another I may not be allowed to take. So this is basically going to be a waste of a semester, academically. That's such a huge frustration for me. I keep thinking that I made a mistake coming here.

Later that day, I went with Alan, Kelly, Emma, and Rachel (all from Kent) to take a train into town. It was at this point that I realized that my apartment is literally about eight feet from the railroad station. It made me a bit more determined to move buildings- it's probably completely safe, but it makes me feel uneasy. Anyway, we went into town, and I was able to (finally) buy some food and other things, including a cell phone. I was able to get a few pictures of the town, but it was getting dark by that point.

the town "diamond" at night


the town hall in the middle of the "diamond"


It was nice to get out- it felt like I was doing something more productive. I got back to my apartment and got my laptop and headed for the library so I could use the Internet. I was able to skype with my parents for a while, and again it made me feel better. But then I started to feel sick again, and I had to miss going to a pub with everyone from Kent (we may go tonight, though). My mind was racing all night, and I kept shaking. It took me a while to finally fall asleep.

So far today, not much more has happened. The sun is shining, which is nice, and I saw a rainbow earlier. I'm going to pick some classes that will hopefully work out and try to get registered, and the rest of the day is free until this evening, when I'm hanging out with everyone from Kent again. I really want to be able to go explore Portrush and Portstewart, two neighboring towns, and I want to go back to Coleraine and explore there some more.

I'm sorry that I don't have any exciting details or anything yet, but I haven't experienced anything exciting! I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing here, with my classes not working out and all. I know that God has brought me here for a reason, and I keep praying for Him to show me why, but it's hard to be optimistic at all. It makes it even worse to think that if I were home, I could be doing so many more productive things. I know that there are lots of people praying for me, and I truly truly appreciate it! If you could, would you please pray that God shows me why I'm here and that he gives me direction, comfort, and peace? If there is anything that you would like me to pray for for you, please let me know!

Wow, this was a long post. Sorry about that!

Love and hugs,
Erin

7 comments:

  1. It's good to read this, it sounds like you're feeling a little better. Hopefully you can find classes that will be worthwhile. Between that and getting out with other people more, maybe you'll feel more comfortable. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning of a new semester is always hard... especially at a new and unfamiliar place!!!! I am totally confident that everything will work out, and in just a few days you'll be feeling great and making friends and having a ton of fun. I truly hope so... and I really think so :) I'm praying for you and thinking about you a lot! I know things will start looking up! I love you so much and I hope you're having a great day.... haha what is the time difference?

    YAY UPDATES!!!!!!!! It makes me so happy to hear from you!!!!!!

    PICTURES NEED PICTURES NEED PICTURES

    love love love love love
    Corie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin!!! I know it's hard to believe that you are supposed to be there when things arent going well for you. It sucks that your classes may be screwed up, but perhaps God is allowing you to take this time for you. In an amazing country, where YOU have ROOTS. Maybe this a time for you to discover some things in your life that you need. Its a very unique and amazingly rich culure and I know that it has a lot to offer you. I would try to not focus on the things going wrong and just try to explore and talk to God and meet new people while you are there. I know thats extrememly easy for me to say, but I will say this, when I went on my trips, I really was disapointed that i had to run all over and didnt take or have time to just explore and see what God had for me there. It is such a calling, Ireland, and I think wish you only the best. I love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin! Thanks for sending me the links so I can keep up with you and Andy. I'm so sad that your first few days have been difficult. I had heard some about it but it's different hearing it from you. Keep good notes - challenging experiences make for great stories later! Trust in God and take baby steps - you'll get through this. Don't be discouraged if you don't see God's plan right away - it's there. I'll be praying for you. Be blessed! Love you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I hear you! After a super cold year at Akron U, I transferred to USF in Tampa, spent the summer getting psyched, then reality hit when I kissed my dog goodbye and got on the plane. I arrived knowing no one. Wicked Wanda (yes, the front plate on her taxi said so) drove me to USF and told me about the murder on campus the previous week, then charged a ridiculous fare and guilted me into a ridiculous tip. Roommate was OK, but not buddy material. "Lake" on campus map was critter-infested and surrounded by barbed wire. Took off on a bike ride not knowing it was time for the daily thunderstorm. Had to buy an ugly comforter for my bed. My bike was stolen. And it kept getting worse. I was miserable. I could not eat or sleep for several days. (My first meal was the crunch 'n munch that a friend had sent with me on the plane.) It was a horrible first few weeks, but things slowly improved. (And the next semester I transferred back up North to KSU with an awesome tan!) Why am I telling you this? Maybe you'll get a chuckle out of the whole situation. (Remember, it was the 80s so you have to visualize the curly chick mullet, hi-top sneakers, neon pink running shorts and "Frankie say 'relax'" big t-shirt knotted at the hip. Oh, and the Sony Walkman with Whitney Houston and Flock of Seagulls cassettes.) Mostly I just wanted you to know I totally understand what you're going through. And also that you are awesome! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin,
    Clara sent me the link...
    Goodness, what a start! You sound frustrated, and I am sorry that things are not off to a better start. Please keep in mind that jet lag can really make things tough. When Ben and Katie got home from their trips abroad, it took them over a week to readjust to our time zone. It takes your body a while to adjust to when to be hungry and tired, and that is just plain unsettling!
    I hope you'll find the time to explore. Ireland is so old, and the roots of Christianity are so deep there. It would be so wonderful to visit some of the old churches and know that your prayers were joining the voices of so many over many hundreds of years. It seems to me that might be a path for you toward some peace and contentment while you are there.
    I hope that things are beginning to improve for you and just get keep better every day. And mostly know that lots of us at home love you and are praying for you.
    Lots and lots of love,
    Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Erin,
    This is definately an adventure you are always going to remember. You have been very brave traveling to a foreign country, handling disappointments, changes in scheduling, adjusting to the time difference... I'm so proud of you and no matter what you decide to do in these next few days, that will not change. You are on my mind and in my prayers - often. Be thankful you aren't home right now; we are getting lots of snow tonight. Luke is hoping for a snow day (of course).
    In one of your postings you asked us to pray that God show you why you are there, in Ireland; I don't know if this is a direct answer or not but because both you and Andy decided to leave the country - you caused me to act on one of God's gentle nudges in my life. I called your mom and suggested we start a prayer group. We (your mom, me, Daphne and Lori) met last Wed. for the first time and intend to continue weekly, hopefully getting a few others to join us. Yes, your actions do affect those around you. God is using you already. Continue to look to Him and He will give you answers; He even says so, "Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unserchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3. He is faithful - that you can count on. Look for Him and His blessings throughout your day. Love you girl, many blessings. Kim.

    ReplyDelete