1/29/09

Settling In

I apologize to everyone for not updating in a while. I guess I've just felt like since nothing new has really happened, there's nothing really interesting to write about. I'm (very slowly) starting to become adjusted. I've been in town a few times, and I've had fun taking pictures of everything. I'm still struggling to get classes settled and everything- I don't think that will happen any time soon, though. I did finally get a roommate, but only one. His name is Kevin (pronounced KEE-vahn), and he seems pretty nice, though I rarely see him. I don't know whatever happened to the other two people that were supposed to live with us, but they're MIA. It's really not that bad- I just don't spend a lot of time in the apartment. I'm on a waiting list to move into a place that's actually on campus and has an Internet connection- hopefully I'll get to move soon.

the front of my apartment


my room

The weather has been pretty nice here, for the most part. Today is the first day we've had so far that's been completely overcast and stormy (and very windy!) all day. The other days, it was mostly sunny, with maybe some clouds once in a while and occasionally some rain. It seems like it's a far cry from what everyone's experiencing in Ohio at the moment! I do miss the snow, though. Send some over to me? I won't be seeing it until next November or December. It's probably been in the forties, or at least the high thirties, since we've gotten here. We're only about three miles from the Atlantic Ocean, though, so I think the ocean helps keep it warmer here.

When we first started to travel here, and for the first few days we were here, as soon as someone found out that we were American, they would ask us about Obama and the inauguration. Unfortunately, we were flying while he was actually being inaugurated, so we weren't able to see it, but we definitely heard all about it from almost everyone. Echoing Andy's blog, it seems like everyone's really hopeful that relationships between respective countries can be repaired, or at least strengthened. The fervor has died off a bit, and I imagine that it has in the US as well, but it was surprising to me how many people abroad actually care about American politics. I guess I always thought that others viewed us as "stupid Americans" and didn't really care what we did unless it made them mad. I'm learning, though.

The other day, some of the other students from Kent and I went to a grocery store called Tesco's (kind of like a cross between Giant Eagle and Marc's). As I was shopping, I saw someone in a kilt, a kid probably about 14 or 15. I thought it was odd, but then I figured, "Hey, this is Ireland" and didn't think about it anymore. Then a few minutes later, I saw a girl, probably about 13 or so, also wearing a kilt. And then I saw a grown man. I was really curious now. I didn't know that people still routinely wore kilts- I thought that as I was preparing to leave, someone would have at least mentioned it. When I checked out, I saw a whole crowd of kilt-wearers of all ages. It was pretty amusing- they were all crowded together at the front of the store. Then one of them started to play the bagpipes (!), just like he was warming up or rehearsing or something. Then a few more joined in. And then they all moved off into a corner and started playing all together, with drummers and everything. It was bizarre. Cool, but bizarre. I asked one of the students who was here last semester as well if this happened often. She just said, "Ummm... no." It was pretty random, but I'm glad that I got to witness it!


the bagpipers and drummers

I want to thank everyone for being so encouraging and loving to me! I feel really overwhelmed by all the support that I've gotten, and I want you to know that it really means a lot to me. I do feel lonely over here, but it's so comforting to know that there are so many people back home (and elsewhere) praying for me. I truly appreciate it, and I feel very blessed! Thank you all!

Love and hugs!
Erin

2 comments:

  1. Did you get pictures of the kilting episode? Cuz that would be awesome.

    Also I think we should look into some sort of world-wide vote, like each country gets one vote in the electoral college. Just saying.

    Have fun trying on kilts!

    ~Coop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin!

    It was a relief to read today's entry on your blog--Jim and I have been concerned about you and are praying a lot! What an experience you are having!I agree with Cindy that you should def keep good notes/journal, because you'll be profoundly impacted by it all later, (as well as now. And it will make for some great stories/life lessons/children's sermons, etc!) :-)Know that we love you and will continue to pray for you!
    Aunt Peg

    ReplyDelete